Implant-Supported Overdentures in Southern California
Giving you the best of both worlds when comparing the aesthetic and functional advantages of standard dentures and implants
Have you been considering dentures or implants? Perhaps you have a number of missing teeth and need dental restorations. Overdentures could be the solution to your smile woes. Cunning Dental Group has more than 53 years of experience in general and cosmetic dentistry, having served thousands of patients in Montclair and throughout California. Our founder, Ronald Cunning D.D.S., built our practice on the experience of highly trained staff and the latest advancements in dental technology, allowing us to give everyone in need of overdentures the best experience.
How the Overdenture Process Works
Overdentures integrate prosthetic dentures with dental implant technology. They offer you all the benefits of dentures in addition to the quality and ease of dental implants.
Generally, implant-supported overdentures are similar to conventional dentures. These prosthetics include an acrylic base that resembles your natural gums. Our dentist will mount natural looking teeth to the gum colored acrylic base, mirroring your original teeth and acting as a replacement for your missing teeth. The difference, you ask? Unlike regular dentures that sit on your gums and usually require a special adhesive to remain intact, overdentures in Montclair, CA use implanted bases to secure the denture in your mouth. That’s right—no more slipping and sliding dentures!
How an Overdenture Benefits You
From superior long-term results to improved quality of life, here’s why you should opt for overdentures.
- Aesthetics. Overdentures protect your jawbone from muscle loss and help maintain the youthful appearance of your face.
- Restored function. Enjoy most of your favorite foods again.
- Good health. The digestive process begins in your mouth. Poor oral health affects your digestion and other bodily functions.
- Uncomplicated upkeep. Overdentures are easy to maintain. Cleaning and caring for them is a breeze.
- Comfort. Overdentures are comfortable and cause no pain.
- Reliability. With proper care and routine dental visits, your overdentures will serve you for years with little upkeep.
- Reduced need for bone grafting. Our angled placement of dental implants ensures a strong and stable anchorage for the overdenture or replacement arch, often making a bone graft unnecessary.
- No more messy adhesives. The biggest drawback of wearing conventional dentures is the need for adhesives, which can affect the taste of the foods you eat and can be messy.
If you are one of the 40 million Americans with missing teeth in one or both jaws, here are the types of prosthetics available at our practice:
- Gum supported, implant-retained. In this procedure, our dentist will install implants in your upper jaw, lower jaw, or both. Included are attachments on the overdenture, which will let you affix the denture directly to the implant posts. You can remove the prosthetic for proper cleaning and care.
- Fixed overdentures. Implant-supported, fixed overdentures might be for you if you are looking for a more permanent solution to missing teeth. In this procedure, aside from installing dental implants in your jaw, our dentist will affix the dentures with screws to secure them in place. You cannot remove these prosthetics. If you need repairs or professional teeth cleaning, our dentist can provide the maintenance you need.
Deciding Between Overdentures vs. Dentures
Implant-secured overdentures are modern restorations that have revolutionized the way Cunning Dental Group restores a complete set of teeth. Traditional, regular dentures not only have a tendency to fall out and cause embarrassment, but they also come with inherent limitations. For instance, some dentures can cause discomfort when chewing and talking, restricting your diet and preventing you from speaking confidently.
Overdentures are far more secure and reliable than standard dentures. Since the prosthetic devices are attached or placed over an implant, you do not have to worry about dentures slipping and sliding. Overdentures also help prevent bone loss associated with traditional dentures, as they preserve the bone in the mouth by providing the stimulation your jawbone needs.
A Good Candidate for Implant Overdentures
You might be a suitable candidate for overdentures if:
- You are in good overall health. The implant placement process involved in overdentures necessitates surgery. If you have a chronic disease, including diabetes or cancer, complications may arise during surgery. Therefore, for your own safety, your primary care physician must approve you for surgery before we can move forward.
- You have good oral health. If you have periodontal disease or any other infection, we need to address them before you get overdentures.
- You have a sufficient amount of jawbone. For our dental professionals to place dental implants into your mouth successfully, you must have enough jawbone to support the implants. If not, bone grafting might be necessary, which can prolong the overall overdentures treatment and healing plan.
- You are missing most of your upper and/or lower teeth. Overdentures are a good choice if you are missing most or all of your teeth. If you are only missing a few teeth but experiencing problems with the rest of your teeth, our dental specialist can determine which of them can either be saved or removed. Extracting problem teeth can improve your chances of becoming a candidate for implant-supported overdentures.
The Preferred Dentists in Montclair, CA — CALL (855) 328-6646 NOW
I just want to thank everyone at Cunning dental for the amazing work they’re doing. I recently had dental surgery there and it was smooth sailing! Everyone is so warm, attentive, empathetic and professional. They make you feel like part of a family. It’s not just what you do, but how you do it and Cunning dental stands out to me because they’re all passionate about what they do. That translates into the amazing way they treat their patients. So if anyone has doubts, don’t hesitate, you’ll be in good hands🙏
- B.A. - Google
Caring for Overdentures
Implant-secured overdentures are low maintenance, requiring only occasional cleaning and a biannual or annual replacement of attachments. In between visits to our local dental office, you only have the responsibility of brushing for day-to-day upkeep.
If you have detachable prosthetics, ensure to remove them each evening. Occasionally, you may soak your overdentures for a few minutes in an approved denture cleaning solution.
Maintaining your gorgeous new smile is that quick and simple.
Stop Being Ashamed of Your Smile: Get Overdentures Today
Missing teeth can be embarrassing, causing you to hide your smile and lose your self-confidence. Furthermore, the gaps and spaces created by missing teeth can easily become infected with bacteria, cause your surrounding teeth to move out of place, and make it difficult for you to eat or speak with ease.
Cunning Dental Group is sensitive to the hardships and emotional scars missing teeth can create. We provide implant-retained overdentures in Southern California to boost your self-esteem, improve your overall health, and encourage you to approach life boldly.
Entrust Your Smile to the Best Dentists in California
Take the first step by contacting Cunning Dental Group to see if an implant supported overdenture is an option for you!
No more holding back! Smile from ear to ear with beaming confidence.
Implant overdentures have had favorable clinical outcomes from decade-long studies. Call us at (855) 328-6646 to schedule your appointment and learn more about implants used to support dentures.